Nothing beats homemade and making this Dulce de Leche recipe is super easy if you can be a little patient.
Here's grandma's no-fuss Dulce de Leche:
- 14-oz can of sweet condensed milk
- Remove label on can
- Immerse can on its side in pot filled with room temperature water. Make sure to fill water until it's 2 inches above the can.
- Put pot over med-high heat until water simmers. Simmer for 2 hours for a lighter dulce de leche. Simmer for 3 hours for a darker dulce de leche. Make sure to maintain water level at least 1-2" above can. Add water to the pot as needed. *I usually check the pot every 30 min or so.
- Use tongs to remove can from water bath and set it on a wire cooling rack.
- Let can cool to room temperature. *Important to not open can when it's hot. The hot can is pressurized and can spray hot dulce de leche.
- Once open, use stirring spoon to give it a stir and try!
Drizzle over ice cream, fill alfajores or crepes, use as churro dip, swirl in brownies, or give as neighbor or hostess gift.