Alfajores de Maicena: A Peruvian Favorite
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Set flour mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl mix butter and powdered sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time to butter and sugar bowl.
- Then add vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and punch out into approx. 2" circles.
- Bake 8-9 min. (Do not let them brown.)
- Let them cool before piping 1 tsp dulce de leche. Alfajores are a sandwich cookie so add dulce de leche to one cookie and then add the second one on top.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
These cookies get better with time. Crispier when fresh, but after a day or so, they are more cake like. Goes great any time of day with coffee or tea!